Set us free, heavenly Father, from every bond of prejudice and fear: that, honoring the steadfast courage of your servant Absalom Jones, we may show forth in our lives the reconciling love and true freedom of the children of God, which you have given us in our Saviour Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.
Feast day: February 13.
This is the second in a series of four weekly videos remembering key African American figures in the Episcopal Church and beyond. A new video will be published each Thursday throughout February.
- Week One, February 4, 2021: Edward Thomas Demby
- Week Two, February 11, 2021: Absalom Jones
- Week Three, February 18, 2021: Thurgood Marshall
- Week Four, February 25, 2021: Anna Julia Haywood Cooper
Find out more about the Rev. Absalom Jones:
- The Episcopal Church Archives
- Historical Society of The Episcopal Church
- Portrait of Absalom Jones. Raphaelle Peale – Delaware Art Museum
Giving – Episcopal Historically Black Colleges and Universities
It is customary for offerings at services remembering Absalom Jones to be given to The Absalom Jones Fund for Episcopal Historically Black Colleges and Universities. As we will not be meeting in person to celebrate Absalom Jones, please consider making a donation via the donation button below.