Tara Bennett One-minute read. Resources
The hustle and bustle of the holiday season is here again – along with the planning, the prepping and the packing. If you’re one of the millions of families who will be visiting family or friends this year, there’s one important thing you need to add to your holiday checklist: talking about responsible gun storage.
Here’s how you can make it a SMART holiday:
- Before you travel, ask your hosts if they have any guns in the home, and if they’re stored locked, unloaded and separately from ammunition.
- Don’t make assumptions. About one in three American households have guns, and 1.7 million children live in homes where guns are stored unlocked and loaded.
- Know that kids are curious. Hiding guns in closets, drawers or under the bed is not safe storage – especially when children might be snooping for gifts!
- Secure any guns in your own home if you’re hosting children – and anytime that kids are in your home.
- Don’t be afraid to have an awkward conversation. Use these tips when you ask about responsible gun storage.
Together, we can make it a joyful, safe, and SMART holiday season for everyone!
If you want to be informed about urgent issues, calls to action, legislative alerts, and ongoing gun violence prevention work with The Diocese of West Missouri, please complete our form.
ResourcesBack to Contents
- 05-05-2023. Link to an email sign-up form added.