A copy of the slides presented by Tom Kokjer, Diocesan Treasurer, to the 2018 Diocesan Convention.Tom Kokjer Ten-minute read. Resources
The presentation was followed by a video Building Community in West Missouri which provides examples of how diocesan grants and funds are being used throughout the diocese.
Breakdown of the Ministry Plan
2009 vs 2019
Sources of Income 2009 vs 2019
History of Covenanted Portion Changes
2006 to 2019 Covenanted Portion
What We Learned from the Metrics Work Team
- The metrics on the Annual Parochial Reports (APR) represent concrete measures of membership, participation and financial support.
- The metrics on the APR in The Diocese of West Missouri mirror those of The Episcopal Church. For most there is a downward trend over the last several years.
- The mirroring of national trends is true for both small and large churches.
- Clergy leadership desires more ‘qualitative’ metrics, not currently considered on the APR.
- Qualitative measures are more difficult to obtain and often require indirect measures to determine progress.
- The Diocesan Council is currently engaged in examining the 2019 Plan for Ministry through a more qualitative lens to better drive desirable impact for the parishes across the diocese.
Comparing The Diocese of West Missouri to Similar Dioceses
Examples of Qualitative Lenses
From Natural Church Development by: Schwartz
- Empowering Leadership
- Gift Based Ministry
- Passionate Spirituality
- Effective Structures
- Inspiring Worship Services
- Holistic small groups
- Need–oriented Evangelism
- Loving Relationships
Breakdown of Administration & Governance
Significant Changes to Draft Budget
- $68k in new budget reductions
- $71k increase in investment income with utilization of Expansion Fund
- Salary, wage & benefits include 1.5% COLA adjustment and 8.5% increase in health insurance expense.
- $214k reduction (15%) in covenanted portions versus status quo.
- Parochial reports positive
- Investment performance positive
2019 Covenanted Portion Formula
- Formula uses Operating Revenue less outreach for the prior two years. The base is either the average of the two years or the prior year, whichever is lower.
- The calculation on the base is:
- 10.52% of the first $50,000
- 11.37% of the next $50,000
- 12.22% of the next $50,000
- 13.92% on anything over $150,000
ResourcesBack to Contents
- Full Plan for Ministry dropbox.com/s/007tk46f338sf5t/DWM_2019_Plan%20for%20Ministry%20as%20Adopted%2011-03-18.pdf?dl=0
- Video: spirit.diowestmo.org/2018/12/building-community-in-west-missouri/
- Diocesan Convention Website: diowestmo.org/Convention-2018