DISCERN is a two-week virtual experience for young adults to engage in thought-provoking conversations around purpose, passion, and call with inspiring faith leaders. This experience will guide them in discovering their next most faithful steps and explore how they might serve the church — and ultimately the world.
Nominees and applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Committed to 10 hours of engagement between September 17 and October 1, 20211
- Not yet enrolled in seminary
- Between the ages of 18 and 30
- Reside in the US or Canada
- Interested in making a difference in the world through the church
- Thoughtful, curious, and open to learning
- Inspiring others to action
1Gatherings will take place in the evenings, and the remainder of the experience is self-paced.
Young adult attendees can expect:
- Interactive, online content for exploring pastoral leadership, and innovative models of ministry
- Integrated spiritual practices and contemplative experiences
- A journey with a small group of like-minded young adults and mentors who will accompany participants through the process
- Three group gatherings where participants will join peers and Christian leaders for discernment, growth, and community (September 17, September 24, and October 1)
DISCERN is offered through the Forum for Theological Exploration (FTE), is a leadership incubator that inspires young people to make a difference in the world through Christian communities. Since its founding in 1954, FTE has provided resources, events, networks, grants, and fellowships to cultivate tomorrow’s leaders, pastors, and theological educators. FTE provides a forum through which gifted, purposeful students, young adults, and partners explore their passion, purpose, and call. Whether you are seeking to discern your vocation, or if you would like to partner with us in supporting young leaders, their teachers, and the communities that call them into service, they welcome you to be part of their work.
Nominations are due by August 13, and Applications are due by August 20.