Timeline

New home for St. Matthew’s, Ozark

One-minute read. After over a year of prayer and discussions, St. Matthew’s Ozark celebrated their first service in their new home – Ozark Presbyterian Church – on Sunday, October 4.

The Rt. Rev. Edward Robert Atwill

Edward Robert Atwill is elected the first Bishop of the diocese. Bishop Atwill served from 1890 to 1911.

General Convention of The Episcopal Church approves the splitting of the Diocese of Missouri

On October 7, the 5th day of the General Convention, the House of Deputies adopted a resolution supporting the split of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri. The motion was referred by the House of Bishops to the Committee on the Admission of New Dioceses, and the bishop’s replied with a counter resolution requesting more time. … After various resolutions were suggested and rejected, on October 15, 1889, the House of Bishop’s finally approved the majority resolution from the Committee on the Admission of New Dioceses, and the resolution to split the Diocese of Missouri was approved.

St. John’s, Neosho

The Rev. Robert Shaw Locke was the first priest. St. John’s Episcopal Church was established in June of 1889. The church was built in 1892 on a lot that cost $25.00. It is the oldest standing church in constant use as a church in Neosho, Missouri.

St. Mark’s, Kansas City

St. Mark’s was one of the first churches established in western Missouri under Bishop Daniel Tuttle. It was formed in 1889. The Rev. John K. Dunn was its first priest. St. Mark’s closed in 1932.

St. John’s, Springfield

St. John’s was established under Bishop Robertson in 1886. The Rev. M.M. Moore was its first priest.

St. Matthias’, St. Joseph

St. Matthias’ was established under Bishop Robertson in 1885 as St. Joseph’s black congregation. Rev. B.W. Timothy was its first priest. St. Matthias’ closed in 1934.

Trinity, Kansas City

Trinity Church was established under Bishop Robertson in 1883. The Rev. Robert E. Talbot was its first Rector. Trinity Church merged with Grace Church in 1917.

St. Augustine’s, Kansas City

St. Augustine’s was established under Bishop Robertson in 1881 as Kansas City’s black congregation. The Rev. Charles E. Cummings was its first priest.

St. Luke’s, Rich Hill

St. Luke’s was established under Bishop Robertson in 1880. The Rev. William Brittain was its first priest. Date of closure currently unknown.

St. Paul’s, Maryville

St. Paul’s was established under Bishop Robertson in 1878. The Rev. E. Victor Beals was its first priest. St. Paul’s closed on December 31st. 2019.

St. Mary’s, Plattsburg

St. Mary’s, Plattsburg, January 1875. Date closed, currently unknown.

St. Paul’s, Clinton

St. Paul’s was established under Bishop Robertson in 1875. The Rev. J.J. Wilkins was its first priest.

Scroll to Top